ByUmar Ali – June 5, 2020
Do you know how to restrict someone on Instagram? Instagram is the most popular platform around the world. It is best to place to share your photos, stories, and videos. You can also promote yourself and business through Instagram. Instagram allows users to buy and sell items via the Instagram store. Unfortunately, it can also be a way of unwanted interactions from bullies and trolls. You can more secure your IG account and control unknown or unwanted interactions by restricting particular people on Instagram.
Read: How to Make Your Instagram Account Private on all Devices
What is Instagram’s feature “Restrict” and How do you use it?
- Instagram has a new privacy feature. When you restrict a user or someone, their comments on your Instagram posts will only be showing to them (and not publicly).
- If you like to see their comment by using the See Comment option. From here you can delete it, you can approve the comment to make it public, or you can select to ignore it altogether.
- The restricted user cannot directly send messages to you on Instagram DM.
- Their messages will be moved to the Message Requests section, and you will not receive notifications from their account either.
- You can view and read their messages from the Messages Requests section, but they will not be able to view when you have read their messages or when you are active on IG
- The best thing about this feature is that the restricted user will be none the wiser. They will don’t know that you have restricted them
- The best thing about this feature is that the restricted user will be none the wiser. They will not notify or aware that you have restricted them
- They will still be able to see and like your stories and be able to view your stories.
- Basically your IG account for them will go into a view-only mode.
- They will be able to view your updates, but will not be able to contact you or with them
Read: Can I Share Instagram Story to Facebook and Page Story
How to Restrict an Instagram User Using Mobile App and Website
There are several ways to restrict someone or a user on Instagram, including from their profile or from a comment. This procedure applies to the Android app the iPhone app and the Instagram website.
- Open your Instagram account
- Then log in to your IG account with your credentials
- Find the User from their profile you want to restrict and then open to their profile
- Then tap the Menu option from the top right corner
- Tap on the Restrict option
- If you are using the feature for the first time, you will view a little bit of explanation about restricting someone or a user. Then here tap the Restrict Account option. You will not have to see this option next time.
- After that Instagram will notify you that the user is restricted.
- You can select the Learn More option for more information
- Tap on the Dismiss option to return back to their profile
Read: Instagram App Keeps Crashing and How to Fix
How to Restrict a User From Your Post’s Comments
Here are the steps to restrict a user from your post’s comments on Instagram.
- Open your Instagram account
- Find the comment for the user you want to restrict and swipe left on it
- Then tap on the Report button
- Here select the Restrict button to restrict the user account
Read: How to Clear Search History on Instagram App and Web
How to Unrestrict Someone on Instagram Using App and Web
If you want to unrestricted a user on Instagram that you restricted previously in the following steps:
- Open your Instagram Account
- Log in to your IG account
- Find the User that you want to unrestrict (You can use the search bar)
- Tap to open their profile
- Then tap on the Three-dot menu option from the top left side
- Finally, tap on the Unrestrict option
As I said at the beginning of the post that the Restrict feature will only allow you to control the interaction. If you wish to prevent users or someone from viewing your activity on Instagram. You can unfollow the user on Instagram, you can hide your Instagram Stories from them, block them completely from your IG account altogether, or you can switch to a private account to further stop or limit unknown or unwanted exposure.
Alternative Way to Restrict or Unrestrict Someone on Instagram
Let’s show an alternative way to restrict or unrestrict one or more users and how to view the list of restricted users. You will need to walk through these steps to do it:
- Open your Instagram Account
- Tap on the Profile icon to go to your profile
- Then tap on the Main Menu
- Select the Settings Gear icon
- Now tap on the Privacy option
- Tap on the Restricted Accounts option
- Select the Continue option at the bottom
- Type the name or username of the account you would like to restrict
- Finally, tap on the Restrict blue-button option next to the person account
- Select the Unrestrict option to unrestrict a user or someone that you previously restricted.
To Urestrict someone that you restricted previously. Then follow the same steps and tap unrestrict option next to profile under the Restricted Accounts.
FAQ-Frequently Ask Questions
Here are some of the frequently asked question by different people to restrict and unrestrict users on Instagram.
How do I restrict or Unrestrict someone on Instagram?
If you want to restrict or unrestrict someone on Instagram is very quick and easy. You can do it while using your Instagram mobile app Settings>Privacy>Restricted Accounts>Continue>Search account to restrict and tap restrict options. Here you can tap on Unrestrict option to unrestricted someone from the restricted list. You can also find and visit the person’s profile you want to restrict while using an Instagram app or web. Select the Three-dot from the upper right side and tap or click restrict option. Once you change your mind the follow the same steps to restrict some that you’re restricted previously.
What happens when you restrict someone on Instagram?
The restricted user cannot directly send messages to you on Instagram direct message. Their messages will be moved to the Message Requests section, and you will not receive notifications from their account either. You can view and read their messages from the Messages Requests section. But they will not be able to view when you have read their messages or when you are active on IG. The best thing about this feature is that the restricted user will be none the wiser. They will don’t know that you have restricted them.
Instagram Restrict vs Block
Block: When you can’t bear a user at all then use the block option. And you’re right with them let them know that they have been blocked. The person will be unable to access your posts and stories.
Restrict: You can use the restricted feature when you want to avoid a user or some without letting them know. Then restriction is the best option. when you are using restrict your stories and posts are still accessible to the user.
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppUmar Alihttps://www.dowpie.comUmar Ali is a passionate content writer. He feeds many blogs with his unique content. He loves creating contents tutorial content. And contribute many guest articles on different websites.